Kevin Brosius on Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:52:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> > I've had Verizon DSL for over a year now.  They never changed my IP, never
> > dropped a connection, and the slack box that I use as a router/firewall is
>
> They drop me once in a while. Seldom, though. They do change my ip when I
> restart (new kernel, etc).
>
> If you know a way to get old ip back, please advise.
>
> Or if someone can buy a static ip w/o any catch...I'm looking to switch
> from verizon over to whoever that really cool service is that charges a
> bit more, but encourages people to run web servers.

I'll second the vote for DirectTV DSL.  I've been largely pleased with
my results from them.  640k/128k DSL, 1 static IP, low pain in the TOS
agreement.  The agreement was fairly reasonable when I signed up,
basically you can run services for your own personal use, but if
commercial use is required they may ask you to upgrade.  On the down
side of that, they seem to sell one type of line, which appears to be
whatever the local bell sells in bulk.  In PA it seems to usually be
640k/128k, but I've seen some comments about 640k/90k lines.  In other
states, they go as high as 1.2M/300-600k lines, depending on installed
equipment.  But they don't offer anything higher than whatever the base
speed is.

Oh, and service comes with a simple external modem/DSL router.  1
ethernet & 1 USB port.  The box is sent to you for a $29.95 shipping
fee, and you are required to return it when you cancel service.  No
rental fee is charged, beyond the standard monthly fee.  Look for signup
deals of $29.95 for the first 3 months.

The don't claim overt support for Linux, although I found their tech
support respected Linux users in my case.  I called once about some
trouble with the router locking up, and got bumped immediately to level
2 tech support because I mentioned Linux and the debugging I had already
done.  On the down side, they never gave me status on the call
afterwords...  But the box also didn't lock up for the next 4 months.

--
Kevin Brosius