Sean Finney on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:09:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:29:15AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
> PDC20267: chipset revision 2
> PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xfe80-0xfe87, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0xfe88-0xfe8f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
> hdb: LTN526D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

ok, so if hdb is your cdrom drive,
ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom

and you should have a (hopefully working) /dev/cdrom.

>  hda:hda: dma_intr: status=0x65 { DriveReady DeviceFault CorrectedError
> Error } hda: dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

this is probably unrelated, but you can fix that error (and I'd imagine
improve performance) if you compile yourself a new kernel with the setting

CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y.

I don't think I've ever gotten this on a hard drive before, but I've
needed to do this in the past to get the cdrom drive to work.  hey, wait
a minute.. :)  well, if this is your problem, you should see a whole bunch
of error messages like the one above but for /dev/hdb in /var/log/syslog or
/var/log/messages or in the actual dmesg after trying to mount a cdrom
a few times.  so try mounting your favorite cd a few times, and then

grep set_multmode /var/log/*

and

dmesg | grep set_multmode

> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present
> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present
> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present

also, this tells me you might need a custom driver module for your cdrom
drive, if things still don't work.  and I don't know why it looks like
it's trying to load an ide-floppy driver for /dev/hdb...

hth
--sean