gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 07:07:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 12:31:23AM -0400, Art Clemons wrote:
> Actually, you can settle the mounting  problem in /etc/fstab
>
> A line similar to:
>
> /dev/hdb  /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   ro,users,noauto,exec   1  0
>
> would allow any user to mount your cdrom and unmount it, I am assuming
> of course that you don't have folks logging into your system whom you
> don't trust.  If you do, then you have to assign ownership of /dev/hdb
> to some group and only add users whom you trust to that group.

Ugh. I wince every time I see this /mnt/cdrom Linuxism. It's wrong,
wrong, wrong. /mnt is meant to be a mount point *itself*, not a
place to mount things under. It's not that it'd really matter much
if I came along and mounted something at /mnt when you'd already
mounted something else at /mnt/cdrom... except that all of a sudden
you wouldn't be able to see your mount any longer. Maybe just an
irritation, but maybe tragic if you're using, say, a union-style
file system, or a loopback mount into /mnt/cdrom, or any variety of
other situations.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net