gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:49:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 12:38:07PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I would symlink /mnt/cdrom to /cdrom as debian still employs /cdrom.

... and that sym link would break as soon as I mounted something on
/mnt. There should never, ever be anything in /mnt. It's there as a
mount point. Period.

(Yes, I am WELL aware that I can fix this for myself on any RedHat
systems I administrate. That's not the point. The point is that
there existed a de facto standard with no real reason to change
from it, and ugly potential consequences.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net