gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:52:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 11:43:38PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I've noticed that on a RedHat system I have at work the CD-ROM device
> file (/dev/scd0 in my case, as it's an IDE CD burner[1]) will have my
> UID as its owner.  I don't know if this is because of RedHat's annoying
> automounter or because I logged in (and ran X from KDM (or XDM or GDM,
> I'm not sure)).

It's the latter. Under regular xdm(1), see:

  /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/xdm/GiveConsole

(path may be slightly different on your system).

[g,k]dm have similar configs, though I couldn't tell you where they
live.

> (I just checked on a RH system here, and it appears to
> be caused by logging in while physically at the machine.  Yet another
> interesting "feature".)

Hardly a RH-original, though. NeXTStep does this, Irix does it,
Solaris does it.

> So no, don't bother changing the ownership and permissions on the CD-ROM
> device, as it'll just get changed the next time someone logs in at the
> (physical) console.

Note that you can specify the default (no-one logged in on the
console) by editing TakeConsole (same place as above). You can also
strip out the chown in GiveConsole (or add others if you like).
Don't get scared, it's just a Bourne shell command script.

> [1] Why the hell does Linux require CD burners to be emulated SCSI
> devices?  It's really bloody annoying.  At least one of the BSDs,
> FreeBSD, doesn't need that; burncd(1) claims/seems to work just fine on
> IDE devices, not.  (For SCSI devices, they provide cdrecord(1).)  Hmm, I
> wonder how hard it would be to port this...

It's not Linux, it's cdrecord, and it's because IDE CD-Rs are an
abomination (it's *really* easy to get bad burns off them, by, oh, I
don't know, sending traffic down the bus). And don't get me started
on USB CD-Rs...

Nevertheless, your complaint's well founded (the software exists to
support the drives without emulating a different bus, why not do
it?). So go fix it. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net