Bill Jonas on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:50:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 11:51:56PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Hardly a RH-original, though. NeXTStep does this, Irix does it,
> Solaris does it.

On reflection, I guess it's not so bad.  It just surprised me when I
first saw /dev/scd0 being owned by user bj.

I think there's some other magic going on besides *dm, though, as it
worked when I logged in at the (physical and virtual) console on my
(test, but currently RH) machine here at home, which doesn't even have X
installed.

> It's not Linux, it's cdrecord,

This is very true.  I should have realized this in light of my "FBSD
provides burncd for IDE and cdrecord for SCSI" statement.  I guess this
is an itch that no one's felt the need to scratch yet because of the
emulation provided by Linux.

> and it's because IDE CD-Rs are an abomination (it's *really* easy to
> get bad burns off them, by, oh, I don't know, sending traffic down the
> bus).

...which reminds me: I think it was on PLUG this was discussed, but I
can't remember for sure.  I have an on-board IDE RAID controller on my
motherboard.  (iWill KK-266R,
<http://www.iwillusa.com/products/spec.asp?ModelName=KK266-R&SupportID=>)
/proc/pci says it's a "CMD Technology Inc PCI0649 (rev 2).".  Ought this
to work as a plain old IDE controller if I just plug devices into it?  I
don't think there's a Linux driver for this chipset anyway (at least, not
the last time I checked about a year ago).  (Purchased instead of the
non-RAID version because it was just a few dollars more.)

> Nevertheless, your complaint's well founded (the software exists to
> support the drives without emulating a different bus, why not do
> it?). So go fix it. :^>

I've been telling myself I should. ;)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin