George Langford, Sc.D. on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:41:02 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Adding shares to a W98PC-LinuxPC network

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

OK.  So I learned with Fred's help how to change my Samba
password with:
		 smbpasswd -a user0

in order to access my newly added network shares.

Except that the new folder [archives] only shows one
subdirectory of one of the two directories to which I
pointed with path statements in the smb.conf file under
[archives]:

		path = /vol1/
and
		path = /vol2/

It doesn't seem to matter whether I include the last [/]
in each path statement.  In [vol1] there are 7 subdirectories;
only the earliest one [lost & found] appears under [archives]
in Network Neighborhood ... and nothing appears for [vol2].
I wuz expecting both directories [vol1 & vol2] ...

But at least it isn't asking me for an unknown password
any more !

BTW, the permissions of [vol1 & vol2] are for [user0] & [root]
whereas the network group is [amenex].  Linux won't accept
[amenex] as the name of the workgroup when I attempt to change
the group name under [properties] when i right-click on the
name of the directory [such as vol1] ...

Thanks again for your friendly & knowledgable help.

"Why am I doing this ?" you might ask - 'cuz I want to back up
my reports in groups of about 600MB each to a CD-R disk, and
the only CD-R/W drive in the network that currently works
correckly is the one on the W98 machine that Paul put together
for me.  The LinuxPC's CD burner invariably freezes the 'puter
at the completion of the burn; and I just found out that some
of the files on those CD-R disks aren't quite right.  Therefore,
it is imperative that I be able to burn, with the W98 PC, files
that are on the LinuxPC's hard drive, i.e., over the network.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/