Forge XP on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:57:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Heat

> The voltages are a little off.  The -5V line is at -5.54V, which
> triggers a warning.  The threshhold is at -5.49V.

10% is the industry de facto standard on pretty much any tolerance. It's
this tolerance that gave rise to overclocking.

As for PSU heat: It's proportional to current draw. Running a 300W PSU right
at it's upper tolerances, it'll get real hot. Swap that PSU for, say, the
new Antec 550, and the temps will shoot way down, while also getting you
cleaner, more stable current.

Always a good thing. When running any K7, I strongly advise you to get the
most hardcore PSU your budget will allow, if not even better. Generally,
penalize any brand you do not see often, to the tune of 50-100W or more.
I've personally seen Sparkle and Deer PSUs that were only useful to .5-.66
of their label's rating. Enermax are known for wobbly 5V lines,
Antec/Topower are top notch. If you have a local CompUsa, the aforementioned
Antec 550 is about 135$ and tax. A very wise investment, as it ought to bear
the draw of even a dual K8 system well, and it'll be glorious, stable
overkill for anything short of a dual K7 with a monster RAID.

- Rich 'Forge' Mingin
www.tech-report.com