Noah silva on Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:50:29 +0200

Re: [PLUG] [PLUG-Announce] presenter needed for next meeting (7/3/02)

Well ;)

I am not the biggest expert on all of the WebSnap type features in Kylix,
(because WebSnap, etc. is pretty new, and not up my alley - and kylix is
pretty new too!)... but ...

Realize that Delphi is Pascal witha GUI builder, so the two topics are
mixed.

I am pretty much of a pascal expert and even delphi expert in many
ways.. I can show how to:
a.) Write in pascal
b.) Seperate units
c.) Differences between OP and other langauges like C
d.) How Object Oriented Pascal works
e.) How to design Console apps with FreePascal
f.) How to design simple GUI apps with Delphi and/or Kylix.
g.) Which things NOT to use if you want your code to be portable to other
compilers / systems.
h.) Differences between VCL and CLX
i.) How to do more complicated GUI apps in kylix / delphi (frames, etc.)
j.) How to do TCP/IP apps with Indie componants
k.) How to make delphi play nice with other compilers' DLLs and vice versa
(Kylix is easier I hear).
l.) How to ship a kylix app.. what it needs to run, etc.
m.) Differences between different versions of Kylix.  Kylix vs. Delphi
vs. FreePascal vs. VirtualPascal, etc.
n.) Different standard units
o.) File access in pascal.

I don't know about:
a.) WebSnap
b.) Too much about DataSnap
c.) Too much about Using COM with Delphi (or at all).
d.) .NET

If people are interested, I know enough to talk for a long time...

the main problem would be:
I have a windows laptop I could load freepascal, Virtual pascal, and
delphi on.. but for obvious reasons, not Kylix.

I don't [yet] have a decent laptop to put linux on, to load kylix
on.  Note that since Kylix and Delphi 6 are 99% identical (and I know the
differences), it wouldn't hurt to do demos in Delphi and then people could
apply the concepts to Kylix, but it just wouldn't be as cool.

I have kylix on my desktop, but it's a little heavy to bring.

As an alternative, we could always harass borland to send someone.

  -- noah silva