Bill Jonas on Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:03:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] fstab for mounting windows partitions

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:28:35PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> /dev/hda1            /mnt/winboot            vfat    user,exec       0 0
> /dev/hde1            /mnt/windata            vfat    user,exec       0 0
> /dev/hde5            /mnt/winother           vfat    user,exec       0 0
> Is this the correct syntax for allowing ordinary users read/write
> access?  If not, what is?

I had a bear of a time trying to get that to work.  I wound up deciding
it wasn't that important, but I was told sometime after that about the
uid and gid flags.  I'd suggest creating a group (if a suitable one
doesn't already exist) and adding users who need write access to the
filesystem to this group.

The 'user' parameter will allow any user to mount the filesystem (files
will still be owned by root) and only that same user to umount it.  If
you use 'users' instead, any user can mount and umount the filesystem.

> I could find no explanation of the kudzu option in the man pages for
> mount(8) nor fstab.  Does anyone know what it does?

I'm guessing it causes the kudzu daemon to monitor the device and
automount it when there is media inserted.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin