Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:44:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:36 pm, Noah Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the response I saw at the meeting, I assume the two or three
> people that asked me about Kylix were the only people who were
> interested.
>
> Since I heard the groans around the room, I have to ask: Why?

I read this whole thread before writing anything, doubting whether I
had anything worthwhile to add.  Well I was one of the two or three
people.  I was interested because I have NO programing background.  I
learned to use a computer in 1991 because I could not afford a
secretary at the time.  I tought myself VBA because I used word a lot,
and wanted to do things my way, and automate them in the process.  I
started using Paradox to keep my case records because some Borland rep
at the time actually helped me understand the concept of a relational
database and faxed me some theoretical stuff (try to get that from
anyone today).  My use of Paradox was the reason for my interest in
Delphi.  Having never written a real program, I downloaded a 60 day
trial of Delphi 5, and was amazed at how I -- as a non-programmer --
could compile some fo the stuff I had originally evolved in Paradox
over the years.  ObjectPascal and Kylix interest me as another tool to
get my entire office away from windows and onto Linux.  If I can use
them, anyone can.  I was interested in learning more about them from
someone who really understood them.  There is value in tools that are
easy for people with my (lack of) skills can use, and if they are
powerful, that is an extra bonus.