gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:54:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:06:07PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 12:42 PM -0400 7/4/02, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >Ummm... way to weird for whom, Len? For you? It certainly seems
> >perfectly sane, what I've used of it under NeXTStep.
> 	For most C/C++ programmers...

You're speaking on behalf of a lot of people whom you should really
let speak for themselves.

What about Smalltalk programmers?

> 	See my previous message - but yes, Objective C IS THE
> language for development of native applications for Mac OS X using
> the "Cocoa" framework - which is basically an updated NeXTStep class
> library.  It even has all the same names (NSString, etc.).

Cool, maybe I'll get a chance to play with it, then.

> 	Agreed, however in the old days compilers weren't as smart as
> they are today...

In what old days? The real work with optimizing compilers recently
(as in, in the last decade) has been predictive methods, loop
unrolling, and other ridiculously complicated stuff. Just noticing
an ADD that would be faster done as a series of INCs is simple
stuff.

> 	May not be possible if you
> a) don't have the source
> b) don't have the specs for the output files (.obj, .o, .a, whatever)
> c) etc.

Then go find a compiler where you can, in the case of a. In the case
of b, how could you *possibly* not have the specs? You can get these
quite easily even from Microsoft.

What else?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter