Bill Jonas on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:20:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DVD frustration

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:46:17PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> There is no cdrom group listed in /etc/group.  So, should I create a
> group just for write access to /dev/dvd?  (Yeah, that seems to make sense.)

You mentioned in another post that you're using RedHat?  Doesn't
automatically change ownership of CD/DVD devices when you log in at the
console?

Anyway, yes, add a group (via groupadd or addgroup or whatever you have;
editing /etc/group won't grab /etc/gshadow, which is used if you're
using shadow passwords) of 'cdrom' or something similarly descriptive,
add yourself to that group, and change group ownership of your optical
disc devices to that group.  That's the "right" (read: Unix-y) way to do
it.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin