Sean Finney on Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:39:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] new kernel bombs

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:42:31AM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> can you tell me how to do this?

i'm not exactly the expert on this, perhaps someone can correct me if i'm
wrong...

System.map is a list of the addresses of all the kernel symbols.  when you
get a stack-trace, the eip points to the specific hex address in memory where
you were when the crash happened.  again, my memory is a little fuzzy, but i
believe eip is 'effective instruction pointer', the register that contains the
machine code instruction currently being executed.  you could use that
eip to find the closest address less than the eip to figure out what
function you were in.  you could also attach a debugger to the kernel
as well and get even more information, but at least with redhat (i've
never done it myself) that takes even more patches and a special debugger.

of course, this might not be the easiest way to figure out the problem.  having
read further through the thread, i see you're using grub, which i know absolutely
nothing about, but it's possible that your problem might be related to grub
and your initrd getting along... oh, and a really dumb question: do you
have initrd support enabled in your kernel?

--sean