Arthur S. Alexion on Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:40:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] scsi vs ide

On Saturday 27 July 2002 12:43 pm, Kevin D. McAllister wrote:
> You may not have your IDE tuned for optimum performance.  I can't
> speak specifically to SCSI vs IDE.  But there are some good resources
> for tuning IDE performance.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v
>1.3/chap6sec74.html
>
> Good Luck

Wow.  I have my swap partition (and just about everything else) on a
7200 rpm ATA/100 drive, and the system was still really slow.  I
followed the advice on that page (and the hdparm man page) and I can't
believe the difference.  It feels like I doubled my ram.