Will Dyson on Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:33:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Apache startup error in Debian

Michael Leone wrote:
Bill Jonas said:

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:40:12PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:

Thanks; I appreciate it. And since I took that file off another
Debian-based box I'd think that standard Debian is to have a file, and
not a symlink.

Just thought of this right after I sent the last one -- why don't you try something like "apt-get install --reinstall libc6 libdb2"? Actually, that might not even be necessary seeing as how there's a new libc6 on security.d.o today.

No, I'm thinking I'm not gonna apt-get upgrade that machine for a little
while. Leave well enough alone for a little bit; let the bugs shake out ... :-)

I have occasionally (well, twice) seen similar problems to this on my machine (debian unstable). Some program is behaving strangely (or failing to run). I track it down to a missing file (last time it was the ldd program binary). Dpkg -L <packagename> will report that the file is supposed to be there (I can only assume that it failed to install when the package last upgraded, rather than dissapearing quietly in the night), according to the cached package file in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

Doing (as Bill suggested) 'apt-get install --reinstall <packagename>' has always worked for me as a way of getting the missing file _really_ installed (Just fyi, since you seem to have fixed it manually).

If you want to check that you don't have any other packages with "disappeared" files, you can run the 'debsums' program, which compares the list of files (and their MD5 sums) in the package cache to the actual files on your drive.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman