Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:50:06 +0200

Re: [PLUG] DSL, Cheaper..

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 10:51 am, Michael Leone wrote:
> I used to pay $20 a month for dialup, and another $22-25 a month for
> a second phone line (so I wouldn't miss any calls, since - like most
> of us - I'm online a LOT). So I was paying $42-45 a month for 56K.

That's if you are lucky to have a very local access number and it is
not a business line (where Verizon bills 7 cents a minute for local
calls).  when I had dialup, my internet usage was costing me $70/month
in telephone usage alone, not including ISP costs.

Besides speed, you also need to factor in the value of not having to
dial up to make a connection -- that is, to always be connected.  A
benefit of both DSL and cable.

BTW, I've had comcast since they first became available in my
neigborhood (about fall 1996).  I can still count the number of times I
have been without service on my fingers, and when I ditched windows for
Red Hat 7.2, the OS install program detected the cable connection, and
automatically installed and configured DHCP, and even tried to name my
computer the weird name given by the comcast server:
pcp01425148pcs.wlwgrv.comcast.net

No complaints here.