multiple seriousity on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:20:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] DSL, Cheaper..

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Michael Leone wrote:
> > or other broadband but find $50 (49.95) too much of a difference between
> > what dialup charges, or just don't want to spend that $50.  The key... ?

> I used to pay $20 a month for dialup,

Like I said. . I pay $0 for dialup, and I have been paying $0 for dialup
for many many years.  I know for a fact that I can continue to pay $0 for
dialup over the next four months.. and I am not on a university connection,
nor a work connection.  I've paid for maybe two to four months at most,
over the past several years.  [Two of those months just happened recently
because I was too lazy and busy to bother to push it or get it corrected.]
Infact, I've also been PAID to have access for 5 months! (I think I got
$50 in the end..)

Oh, and my parents currently pay $4.95 for unlimited access dialup, and
$9.95 dialup is common, and you can actually get $8.49 dialup if you look.

> and another $22-25 a month for a second phone line (so I wouldn't miss

Most people, I would think, don't have a second phone line.  But even
then, I've looked at phone bills, and could probably reduce the costs on a
second line, even cheaper than that. . IF I decided to get a second line.

> any calls, since - like most of us - I'm online a LOT).

As far as missing calls, I have call forwarding.. I had already had call
waiting, and Caller ID.. so I simply added a package, and the effective
additional cost of call forwarding works itself out to 20 cents.. although
call forwarding was $2 when I added it.. and is now $3 by itself.  Now,
why do I have call forwarding.. well.. I have busy line/don't answer call
forwarding... so when I either don't answer my phone, or it is busy (which
it almost always is, cause I stay online almost 24/7) it forwards to my
answering machine. . "but you don't have a second line!" you say? Well, no
I don't but I get innoport.com service.. which used to be free, and gave a
free voicemail and fax box.. but now costs $1.95/month  so, effectively I
pay $2.15 to capture those missed calls. (Actually, I have a cellphone,
and the important people and calls can all call me there.) Prior to
innoport.com, I used evoice.com but they got bought up and shut down by
someone.  Evoice at the time, actually paid for my call waiting,
too. . they were free at first, but then also went to a pay for rate of
$1.95 (for charter members).

> So I was paying $42-45 a month for 56K.

So, I'm paying $2.15 a month for 56k, I guess.

> I got DSL in June 2000 (line from Verizon; ISP from DCA); costs me $50 a
> month. I had originally signed up for 640K speed, but lately it's been
> closer to 786K; they must have upgraded their equipment or something; I
> know I didn't ask for a faster plan.

> 1200%+ speed increase for 11% price increase seems like a reasonable
> difference to me. :-)

Not if it doesn't fit your budget.  New costs don't really fit my budget,
but I also realize that I want to get locked in at a $40 rate, rather than
a $50 price..  which is a savings of $120/yr over several years, that is
significant numbers.

The difference between $40 and $50 really isn't that much but $50 is more
like a mental barrier... it's kind of like the reason they price things at
$X.95 instead of $Y.00  but when you're coming from a pricepoint of $0
for dialup, it is a bigger jump.

Oh, BTW, if you have the Local Package or better... (Local Package, Local
Package Metro, Local Package Plus, or MAYBE (I'm not sure about this
one) Local Package standard Metro) Verizon will give you DSL for $34.95

BTW, about innoport.com:  Innoport.com is a service of a local company,
and they give you area code 215/267 numbers for voicemail and faxes (you
can set it up to accept both, or only one.) and best of all, you don't
have to log off to check your voicemail or faxes, and you can check them
from ANYWHERE you can get online from.. so if you go on vacation, you can
check your voicemail from around the world, or across the country.

I guess that's it for now.  Any questions?

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org