Art Clemons on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:21:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast problems

Michael Leone:
Bet the fan would cost more to replace than the 486 chip ...

I do the same, only I use a Pentium 100; it has a PCI bus. My 486 didn't,
and so occasionally had problems sustaining the throughput of my DSL line.

I literally took that machine home out of the "discard" pile here at work
... I run LEAF on it (see .sig), so I don't even need a hard drive in it.
Hard to get cheaper than that.

Actually, the AMD DX-100 just started giving flaky errors. When I put a new fan on it, the silly thing started working again. Of course, finding a fan for a 486 was a slow process, because not all that many places still stock them. I now have a netgear rp114, it works quite well, and I've now got the 486 functioning to receive faxes and voice mail.

I don't recall any problems with throughput feeding two other computers. Still if the router dies, turns out to have security problems or whatever, the 486 goes back, I still have a switch.