Michael Leone on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:51:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast problems

Art Clemons said:

>  I went to using an old 486 as a gateway with a switch connected to the
> 2nd NIC and other computers.  That worked quite well until the fan
> cooling the CPU stopped working one day.

Bet the fan would cost more to replace than the 486 chip ...

I do the same, only I use a Pentium 100; it has a PCI bus. My 486 didn't,
and so occasionally had problems sustaining the throughput of my DSL line.

I literally took that machine home out of the "discard" pile here at work
... I run LEAF on it (see .sig), so I don't even need a hard drive in it.
Hard to get cheaper than that. :-)

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>

Some days you're the pigeon; some days you're the statue.

Random Thought: