Jesse Huestis on Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:43:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast problems

Hi:

I had problems after the change with my firewall, (RH 7.2 using a firewall script from RH.)  I found out that it was related to my modem from Comcast.  I used to have a Com21 modema nd now have changed it for a RCA modem which has worked better and is faster.  Not sure why.

Jesse

On the DSL vs Cable, I got a one month free and am paying 44.95 including the $5 a month modem charge.

Michael Leone wrote:
Art Clemons said:

If you want a quick and dirty solution to routing, there are among other
options the Linux Router Project (a single floppy disk router based on
if I remember correctly the 2.0.39 kernel) and one other I can't recall,

That's extremely out of date information.

LRP is not being all that actively maintained, last I heard, as just about
all of the developers have moved onto the LEAF project (Linux Embedded
Appliance Firewall) - see the link in my .sig. There are many prebuilt
versions available now. All support routing, DMZs, IPSec, VPNs, booting
from floppy, CD, or write-protected CF cards, etc. The newest variant,
Bering, is based on a 2.4.18 kernel, and employs the excellent Shorewall
firewalling script for iptables. Very easy to use and setup.