Brian Mohr on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:10:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] secure file deletion with journaling filesystems

With NTFS you can use "cipher" a microsoft tool, if you trust it.  I
believe there is a way to configure the (EXT3) to not allow recovery.
I remember that being an advantage to the file system.  I have been
wondering about that myself.

Brian Mohr (KillerV)

> I like to have a way to securely delete files on computers I use.  On
my
> Windows 98 machine at work,
>  I have Eraser (http://www.iki.fi/st/eraser).  Linux (well, SuSE and
> Libranet) come with shred.
> However, a quick look at shred's man page warns that it's not useful
on
> journaling filesystems.  This
> would include reiser, ext3, xfs, I guess all of them except ext2.
> I'm pretty ignorant about filesystems; is it logically impossible to
have
> secure deletion with a
> journaling filesystem, or is shred just not the tool for the job?
>
> While we're on the topic:  is NTFS a journaling filesystem?
>
> Greg Helledy
>
> --
> Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
> If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible
> for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver
> this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message
> and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise
> immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail
> for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information
> expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc.
unless
> otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of
this
> message.

Brian P. Mohr
http://www.bpmohr.com