Bill Jonas on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:50:10 +0200

Re: CD ripping (was: Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:04:22AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> I just installed a USB port in preparation for buying a portable mp3
> player.  The machine has no windows usb support.  Can anybody direct me
> to an article or something that explains my options for using linux to
> upload to these devices.

If I were going to be getting an MP3 player today, I'd probably get a
NexII or NexIIe from Frontier Labs.  Apparently, they use standard
compact flash (as opposed to "smart media" or whatever it's called) and
have no annoying DRM-based limitations.  And, from what I've heard, it
acts just like a USB drive, so you can just mount the filesystem and
copy your MP3s over to it.  (Incidentally, you can also apparently copy
any old file over to it and use the player as a plain-vanilla
file-transfer medium.)

It got good reviews by a Slashdot editor.  Linkage:
http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=nexii
Original NexII:
http://www.frontierlabs.com/NexII.html
New-n-improved NexIIe:
http://www.frontierlabs.com/IIe.html

These start around $100 without any compact flash storage.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin