Mental on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:40:09 +0200

Re: CD ripping (was: Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian)

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:04:22AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Saturday 14 September 2002 03:35 pm, Sean Finney wrote:
> > i second abcde as a fine solution for ripping/encoding.
>
> I just installed a USB port in preparation for buying a portable mp3
> player.  The machine has no windows usb support.  Can anybody direct me
> to an article or something that explains my options for using linux to
> upload to these devices.

It really depends on the player. I think there was an article on /. a
while back that had some good links. Keep in mind that most players will
not support ogg vorbis (up til recently there was no decoder that didnt
require an fpu). If this is important to you, you may have to do some
digging. There isnt (unfortunately) a real standard for it.

I have a creative labs nomad jukebox. It holds 6G of mp3's, connects via
usb and works in linux. There's a libnjb project on sourceforge I've been
using. There's also an njbfs project that I'd had working, but has
problems with newer kernels. I believe its also still being worked on.

If you decide to go another route, make sure it's supported, or be willing
to reverse engineer and write your own drivers.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that
I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

--Tool "Parabola"

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc