Paul on Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:24:07 -0400

[PLUG] RCN dial-up

Does anyone use and have intermittent DNS problems with RCN dial-up?

Sometimes name resolution fails under both Linux and WinX. Sometimes DNS will stop responding during a connection, and sometimes it won't work at all.

I called RCN's "tech support" and spoke with a "level 2" technician. They gave me some garbage about the need to have "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed. They wouldn't help me check the settings on my PC because I couldn't verify that I have an original Windows XP Professional CD. I do have a Dell WinXP Home Edition reinstallation CD for my laptop, so they checked the settings on the laptop. All they wanted me to do is enable "Client for Microsoft Networks" for my dial-up connection.

I'm connected now using WinXP Pro *without* using "Client for Microsoft Networks"!

I asked how a Mac can connect without a problem.  (How does a Mac connect?)

Basically, I feel that they have a network problem, or a bad design, which causes intermittent name resolution failure. But, they are hiding behind the requirement to have an original Windows CD and M$ client software installed. Very frustrating.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?