jeff on Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:46:21 -0400

[PLUG] Re: tangent warning - newbie POV

Good day. My name is Jeff and I've been here for exactly two days. I figured there was no time like the present to stick my [insert body part] into things...

aside, there is absolutely a place for graphical
interfaces. In fact, if it weren't for the often maligned 'GUI',
computers would be nothing more than an interest of introverts and

Agreed in triplicate.

geeks. You're falling into a dangerous mindset. Just because _you_ don't
personally use something, or like it, doesnt mean it has no place on a
'real' computer.

Hell, people even use MACS :)

This allows them to get on with the real objective.
Getting their work done with minimal fuss (for them) and without having
to learn a myriad of commands/switches.

extremely well stated and reasoned.

The hatred for the GUI shown by the 'hardcore' self proclaimed 'real
unix' users disgusts me.

It's kinda funny to me.
I've been messing with computers since back before the 8088. I hated Windows when it came out because the GUI was a resource hog. However it was inevitable. These days I'm thankful for Mr Gates because his shoddy products enable me to make a living.

I've been curious about linux for years. The latest editions of Windows confirmed for me that it's worth whatever I have to do to get free from the Redmond Menace. I have managed to get RH7.3 and Mandrake 8 up and running on 2 boxes (the installation interfaces have improved incredibly). If I didn't have a computer background and good instincts I don't think I would have made correct decisions though (so what if I install it over my Windows partition?).

So I have a box with linux and it's running. Checking through the networking, I manage to get it working with my cable modem, prompting the purchase of a router. Every time I need to do something I wind up researching it, making it a great learning experience but slow in general.

It's stable, looks vaguely familiar, and I even use the terminal inside the GUI a bit. I'm tempted to say that `they' need to improve the usability if they want the Great Unwashed to use it, but let's face it - the Unwashed have a lot of trouble with Windows by itself.

useful to an admin or a kernel hacker, doesnt mean it has no merit. Not
everyone _wants_ to be an admin.

I really love computers, but ultimately they're a device to get things done. I made a list of important things I do on my W2k box and am trying to see if I can do them all on the RH box without major grief. So far so good. And so slow.

It makes new users feel inferior and appologetic.

:)

Arguing the
superiority of the commandline vs the GUI is absurd. There is a reason
we have both.

Sure is - the GUI serves to slow down the computer :)

You walk into Wawa to get a sandwich. You're confronted by a terminal

grep sandwich less onions cat nutrition | more

Who cares if your sandwich ordering system has an uptime of 500 days and you
can remotely admin 1000 of them from your bedroom

Damn, there's *another* great job for me!