Mental Patient on Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:54:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] vfs question

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 19:27, Will Dyson wrote:
> Mental Patient wrote:
> > Anyone here ever work with the internals of anything like ftpfs?
> >
> > I'm working on a device driver for my nomad. It seems to have broken on
> > recent kernels. I've fixed the usb related stuff (I think), now that I
> > can communicate with the device again, I need to tweak the vfs layer so
> > I can copy files again. Just wondering if there was anyone I could get
> > an overview of how things like that work from.
>
> I wrote a (still read-only) linux filesystem driver for the Be Filesystem.
> If you ask a specific question, I'll try my best to help you out.
>
> No experince with the usb layer, however (but if that works, the kernel
> should treat it just like any other block device).

Ok, here's the background.

The Nomad is an mp3 player that connects via usb. There's a pretty cool
library that you can use to write applications to talk to it. But
there's another project that wanted to mount the jukebox and have it
show up as a filesystem.

I fixed up a couple minor things that changed about usb, and can query
the device, see firmware revision etc in the /proc entries.

To do the file stuff, njbfs was using code based on ftpfs. However,
looking around I've discovered that there is a new project to
standardize filesystem abstraction. I'll be checking out
http://lufs.sourceforge.net/ over the weekend and seeing what I can do
to fix up the driver.

Thanks for the offer to help, once I get a better grounding in whats
goig on, I may drop you a line with specific questions later. At least
for now I have a path forward.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that
I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

--Tool "Parabola"

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc