Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:30:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Monday 30 September 2002 02:40 pm, Jason wrote:
> So, basically, are you the postmaster for alexion.com? Do you
> actually configure your email server and have it open to the world to
> beat on it, or does your ISP have an email server running on your
> behalf?

My ISP is Netreach/Fastnet.  Compared to my last ISP, Fishnet, it
appears the Fastnet just forwards my mail from an account that I have
on their server.  With Fishnet, everything was on a cobalt raq server
that I administered remotely, mail, ftp and website.  Everything was
adminstered using alexion.com.  With Fastnet, everything is
administered as something.netreach.net, and alexion.com is just some
forwarded thing.

> Do you use fetchmail to pull the email from your ISP's email
> server? If you use fetchmail, then if there is a problem, it is most
> likely your ISP's concern, assuming you have adequate firewall
> protection around your local email server.

No, I use POP.  Also, I never bothered configuring sendmail, instead
using the stmp server of whatever ISP I am currently connecting with.