gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:06:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:36:24PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> What you are saying makes perfect sense to me.  Unfortuately, not
> everyone receiving mail not-really-from-me has any level of
> sophistication.

It's safe to ignore them unless they're people who directly inluence
your life. Even the example from slashdot today could have been
ignored until any legal papers were actually fired (and any lawyer
worth a fraction of what he was being paid would have laughed that
case out of his office).

If they are people who directly influence your life, it's worth
sitting down and explaining things clearly and politely.

> While no one can PROVE that it was sent by me (since it wasn't), I am
> concerned about those who might react -- in whatever way -- believing
> that it was me.  Ultimately, I'm vindicated, but with what intervening
> hassle and inconvenience.  That's why I'd like to stop it if I can.

There really isn't much you can do. Your email address is just a
random string of charcters on which the only limiting factors are
the character set (specific characters are excluded from email
usernames and other specific characters excluded from valid domain
names by IETF standards), that there must be an @ symbol somewhere
in it (for Internet email; is anyone still getting UUCP mail?), and
that the bit after the last . must be a valid top level domain
(where valid doesn't really mean Internic-recognized, just
resolvable through DNS using the servers your host knows about).

Anyone can type that random string of characters, which is why you
should NEVER suggest that it's ANY kind of identification of you. I
don't care where you get email (or any form of data) that appears
to be from me; unless it's signed by either OpenPGP key ID 0x0cf9091a
or 0x064c199b (barring the unlikely event of a collision in those
bytes), it's not me.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net