Paul on Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:11:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PC Camera

It works after doing "/sbin/modprobe ibmcam" and running xawtv. The camera is sold under the CompUSA brand, manufactured by Xirlink, which seems to be identical to an IBM branded camera, but this one is only $15 after a $5 instant rebate.

What's the quality like?  We have a $30 D-Link that's pretty bad.  (I
can supply samples of its image quality for comparison, if you like.)  I
mean, yeah, for $15 I wouldn't expect a whole lot, but if it's at least
somewhat better than what we already have, I'd probably get it.

Is the D-Link a USB camera? Which driver/chip does it use?

The quality of the Xirlink camera isn't that great. I bought it for outdoor use. When I point the camera outside the image washes out due to over exposure. Also, I haven't seen it run at a smooth frame rate and using the manual focus is a pain. But, it does seem like it would work OK as a monitor-top camera.

I might try it under Windows to see if the limitations are in the hardware, software, or the way I'm running the software under Linux.

I got better results when I tried the WinTV Go video capture card with an old camcorder connected to it.