Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:08:09 -0400

Re: OT - signing emails (was:Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG - The Happy Fun List!)

On Friday 04 October 2002 01:30 pm, Michael Leone wrote:
> > But, for some of the same reasons, I think PGP/GPG signatures are
> > overused.  Yeah, I know the arguments for authentication, but is
> > authentication necessary for most list mail?  Does it really matter
> > who really wrote it?
>
> It might, depending on what is being said, and who is claiming to say
> it. Obviously, this would matter more if the email in topic was
> important - Linus saying that he and BillG are now buds, and Linus is
> now gonna code the kernel in C#, for instance. I for one would want a
> way to be able to authenticate the validity of THAT poster! :-)

I haven't seen that post . . .  or anything like it . . . on this list
<g>.

> > Monitoring this list for a while, I have come to
> > associate names with smart or stupid, nice or nasty, but all most
> > of us really care about are the ideas themselves, not where they
> > came from.
> >
> > Of course, signatures are indispensabe for conducting business, but
> > list mail?
>
> Habit. Sign everything by default, then you won't have to worry about
> inadvertently *not* signing something that you should. Same reason
> many people lock their cars, even when in the garage - habit of
> locking the car whenever you get out of it and leave it, no matter
> where the car is parked.

But someone could say that they post HTML by habit, too.  This is not a
big issue for me.  I just think that people who sign some pretty trite
stuff, and then complain about HTML bandwidth, are being hypocritical.
I generally don't like HTML mail either, but to me, it looks like a
glass houses and stones kind of thing.