Jim Foster on Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:45:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cisco or linux as router for T1

Sounds like I'm behind in my LJ reading.. :-)

Cisco offers an optional firewall version of IOS for their routers.

Not sure if your "hardware-based" comment was referring to the Rebel Router or not, but I would agree with not using a simple PC for many of the reasons already stated. The Rebel Router seems to be a "hardware router" that happens to run Linux instead of IOS.

I'm not qualified to evaluate the Rebel (or products like it) on a technical basis. But from an I/T management perspective I an intrigued by the idea. We have Cisco switches, routers and firewalls here. No one on my staff has significant IOS experience so we have to bring in a consultant for anything other than a minor change. Cisco also charges for software updates.

I would rather train a sys admin in Linux instead of IOS. It would also give us the freedom to update the SW on our own terms.

The product may (or may not) be flawed, but the concept seems valid.