Bill Jonas on Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Webmail

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:14:48PM -0400, Dan Roberts wrote:
> anyone know about a decent webmail program for red hat? i've seen some on
> tucows, but they're all crap from what i've found. i would like to set up a
> webmail server, ideally as you've guessed, without a heavy payout. any
> ideas much appreciated.

What sort of requirements do you have for it?  Some of the ones I've
seen that are decent are Neomail, SquirrelMail, IlohaMail...  Depending
on what features you need and/or want, one of these may work well for
you.  Do you want it to do IMAP/POP?  Do that from more than one
account?  Just read mail from the localhost?  Is it okay if it needs to
speak IMAP to do that?  Should it be overly configurable?  Is it just
for you, or will you have other users as well?

Anyway, here are the URLs for the programs mentioned above:
http://neomail.sourceforge.net/
http://www.squirrelmail.org/ or http://squirrelmail.sourceforge.net/
http://ilohamail.org/

This should give you a decent start; these three packages attack the
problem differently, are written in different languages (PHP and Perl),
have varying feature sets and various levels of configurability.  Do
note carefully the requirements each lists.  For example, IlohaMail says
it requires PHP 4.1.something; if you attempt to use 4.0.x, you'll get
PHP errors in the middle of your messages when it finds a URL and
attempts to convert it to a link.  (Incidentally, this means RedHat 7.3
or higher, unless you're willing to compile the SRPMs on 7.2 or lower.
Yes, I know this because I had to deal with it at work.)  This is just
an example, though.  I *really* liked SquirrelMail and would have used
it at work except it didn't meet all the requirements we had (no support
for a user-specified IMAP server or a choice from a drop-down) and would
have even installed it on my own server (and tried to) but PHP in Debian
woody was acting really badly on SPARC.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble now.  Hope this helps some.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin