multiple seriousity on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:20:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux Webmail

Speaking of Webmail...

   I was wondering if anybody might know of any projects related to, or
similar to the following, or for that matter, if I could encourage anyone
to start one..  (unfortunately, I gave up programming a long time ago, so
I am not a developer.)

   I have long thought it would be a good idea to have a project that
would 1) at very least, capture/retrieve the archived postings, and other
list data (membership, etc.) from Yahoo Groups (formerly egroups, formerly
onelist), 2) replicate the approximate interface and features of Yahoo
Groups.  As one can see, the mailing list manager has been pushed around a
lot, and it may be a good idea to at very least, maintain an external
archive of list data, not to mention lessen one's reliance on Yahoo
Groups, incase of an accidental hiccup, or serious issue with the
service.  (There are already occasional outtings, not to mentioned,
increasing advertising.) [don't get me wrong, I use yahoo groups
extensively for numerous mailing lists, BUT...]

   In relation to this, I was wondering if anybody out there might know of
a project to replicate the old Yahoo Clubs interface and features... for
those that don't know, Yahoo Clubs was merged into Yahoo Groups a while
back, leaving a number of people unhappy because of course, the styles are
somewhat different (even though most of the features of yahoo clubs were
merged into yahoo groups.)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org