christophe barbe on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 17:50:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] debian dist-upgrade from woody (stable) to sarge (testing) report

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:05:59PM -0400, Rahul Karnik wrote:
> Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> <snip>
> >So Debian *is* perfect :)
> <snip>
>
> I agree, except in one minor respect. Debian would be my distro of
> choice, except for:
>
> 1. old packages in stable and testing
> (Is there anyone who runs unstable on a regular basis?)

I run unstable on all non-server computers and stable on all server
computers (to get the security fix quickly).
In my opinion (I am not alone) the release cycle is too slow and you
can't reasonably stay with a pure debian/stable install between two
releases. You end up adding a lot of unofficial source entries and with
a less stable systems.

I personally consider unstable (that I call sid because it is not unstable)
a very good choice if you are aware of the debian dev.

> 2. unoptimized binaries (relatively speaking)

A lot of tests have been done and they show nothing significant except
for a fews apps. For example ssl is greatly improved when compiled with
the appropriate optimization. We have a few packages with per-cpu-type
optimization and a work is ongoing to allow automatic recompilation with
cpu-optimization.

> As it stands, I prefer the quick availability and customizable
> optimization of packages in Gentoo, although I hate the long compile times.

Does gentoo supports powerpc or the 10 others architectures?

Christophe

> Before I get flamed for wanting to run unstable on a production machine,
> I am talking of my laptop which is backed up each night and is perfect
> for experimentation.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul
> --
> Rahul Karnik
> rahul@genebrew.com

An empty stomach is not a good political advisor.
-- Albert Einstein