W. Chris Shank on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I agree with you Fred, mostly anyway. In order for Linux to truly be taken
seriously it needs to cost $$$. Since it's free to acquire, the $$$ needs
to be in the form of services and expertise, not in  right to use
licensing. Budgets to get cut if they aren't used - but in this climate -
budgets are geting cut anyway. Managers NEVER want to cut staff. Most
would rather lose their right arm. The 2 major metrics for a manager are
number of people they manage and size of their budget. So if you can offer
a manager a solution that fits their (now reduced budget) yet allows them
to keep headcount even - well, that guy is going to be happy.

You on the otherhand - are working in academia - so salaries are already
lower - unless you bring in research grant monies.

-my thoughts