W. Chris Shank on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:30:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I think PLUG is an obvious resource for technical questions about linux,
but I don't think PLUG can help me sell Linux or put me in contact with
people looking to buy Linux solutions.

There was a recent post on other (non-linux) x86 unixes, because someone's
boss didn't think Linux was a supportable OS. I didn't get to read all the
understanding was just plain wrong! We all know this is utter nonesense.
We are all trained to talk the tech, but not the biz. It's business people
that have the money to spend on tech! I'm coming to realize that I need to
learn to talk with them in a language they understand. It would be nice if
this fellow had a resource where he could pull "Marketing" information to
present to his boss - to support and ecourage a Linux decision.

Microsoft has had this type of VAR community services for years. Their
small business reseller channel is a huge money maker. A small VAR can
find all kinds of resources about how to sell MS against Novell (at least
when that was a threat) and Sun or IBM or whoever. Now, Microsoft has
recognized the value of the developer community to the linux movement, and
they are putting community functionality into their technical products and
releasing their version of source forge. They have learned from us - we
need to learn from them.

I think that if Linux is going to become really big - it needs to be a
winner in business. Business people WANT to spend money on Linux - they
just don't know they do - AND they don't want to spend as much as they
have for other systems (otherwise - what's the point). I think that the
Linux community needs the equivalent of the MS marketing and business
forums - same way MS realizes they need the equivalent of the Linux
developer community.

There is a site called Linux4SmallBiz or something similar - but it
doesn't have much content. I think trying to create a site with the
equivalent of MS's marketing aides is a lost cause. However, I think a
community site where Linux VAR's can contribute would grow to be nearly as
valuable as MS's offering. As a Linux VAR, maybe I make a presentation
that I want to post and let others use as a sales aide. Or maybe someone
else posts a spreadsheet for calculating licensing cost saving. Or what
ever. Maybe they just say - Hey, I know a guy in Conshehocken that needs a
firewall, but I'm too busy.

Does this make sense? Does this sound interesting to anyone?

Chris