Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:16:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 08:14 pm, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> There is a site called Linux4SmallBiz or something similar - but it
> doesn't have much content. I think trying to create a site with the
> equivalent of MS's marketing aides is a lost cause.

About 6 months ago, I got the idea of putting together a web site to
promote Linux use in the law office.  I mentioned it to 3 other lawyers
around the country who are using it in their practices a lot, and we
registered legalinux.org.  One of the guys put up the site but none of
us has had the time to make it what we envisioned.  What we envisioned
was a site that demonstrated the use of open source solutions to things
lawyers were already doing with expensive, proprietary, "vertical
market" windows apps that were notoriously unstable, and expensive to
support.  The idea was to show that there were alternatives that were
cheaper, better and more stable, with more enduring support from a
community of developers.

I think this is what you are talking about, but broader based, focusing
on a larger segment of the business community.  I think the idea is to
show how one business has succeeded without MS, and the time and cost
benefits they have gained.  You need to show how OSS has solved an
existing, common problem, in a way that is better than the way that
most of the industry is currently doing it.