Jesse Huestis on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:46:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

Chris:

I am still inthe start up phase of a new business focused on Linux solutions to business problems. My focus is to get Linux in taking advantage of the new MS lincensing issues which are costing companies far more than they have antisipated. Samba is a great product and I am trying to get some servers into various Orginizations.

One way I attempt to show companies how well Linux works is to setup an older computer with decent specs with Red Hat and OpenOffice, Abbiword and oterh relavant programs and let one of their users work with it for a while. Generally, the more savy user will like the solution better than Windows 9.X and ME. 2K and XP are competing very well on the desktop. I know how many feel about RH, but managers like standards and are willing to more easily except it.

I am all for a business forum.

If you would like to talk to me further off line, please email me and we can set something up.

Jesse

W. Chris Shank wrote:

Hi All:

I finally made the plunge into the business world. My business is heavily
focused on bridging Windows & Linux for businesses. I think that Linux has
a bright future in business and am wondering if there is any interest in
creating a Philadelphia are Linux Business Forum? I'm not exactly sure
what this forum would be or do, but I think it would be a resource for
networking and business contacts for those of use who sell Linux related
goods and services. Does something like this already exist? Is there
interest among the PLUG membership? Is this a topic that can be kept
inside PLUG itself instead of as an offshoot? Please let me know your
thoughts.

Thank you,

Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group