William H. Magill on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:02:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 04:45 PM, W. Chris Shank wrote:
I finally made the plunge into the business world. My business is heavily
focused on bridging Windows & Linux for businesses. I think that Linux has
a bright future in business and am wondering if there is any interest in
creating a Philadelphia are Linux Business Forum? I'm not exactly sure
what this forum would be or do, but I think it would be a resource for
networking and business contacts for those of use who sell Linux related
goods and services. Does something like this already exist? Is there
interest among the PLUG membership? Is this a topic that can be kept
inside PLUG itself instead of as an offshoot? Please let me know your
thoughts.

Yes. This is an absolute necessity. It's actually one of the major reasons why Linux is not taken seriously in business. Linux users are still (even with IBM and Compaq's involvement) viewed as a bunch of smelly hackers by the suits. Even Dell has realized that Steven does not play well in the Enterprise market. (He is not in any of the Dell Server ads, and the references to Robot Wars are really subtle...)

As someone mentioned -- Management needs to hear THEIR buzzwords -- like ROI, rduced budget expenditures, disaster tolerance and break even point -- in the justification for a new system... not merely gigabytes of RAID or CPU megahertz and RAM.

Personally, I would wait until LISA next month. (Nov 3-8 at the Convention center
http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa02/ - Discounted, registration ends FRIDAY 10/18)

Plan to set up a BOF via the bulletin boards -- Use the name you proposed "Philadelphia area Linux Business Forum". And see how many outside of PLUG you can get to sign up.

There's no reason that it cannot/shouldnot meet as a BOF of PLUG... at least until there is a big enough crowd that wants to meet someplace else.

I can envision that the topics for presentations would be things like -- how to propose Linux so that the Board of Directors will let you buy it.

Keep me on your list of interested parties.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org