Bill Jonas on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:10:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Best FTP?

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 01:32:36PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> All POSIX-like (and, I think IETF draft standard-compliant) FTP
> daemons will refuse to log the user in if they don't have a shell
> listed in /etc/shells.

Okay, I remembered correctly; I wasn't 100% sure.

> Putting /bin/false (or /sbin/nologin) in /etc/shells is the ugly
> hack.

Yes, I agree it's kludgy.  But it can Do The Job, in a pinch, and it's
been the traditional way to do it, which is why I even brought it up.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin