Michael Leone on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:50:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

Paul said:
> That's why MacIntosh makes special deals with schools!

Hasn't really helped Apple as of yet, tho, has it? MS still has 95% of the
desktop market, and a sizeable chunk of the server market. And their
percentages aren't going down (at least, not appreciably). So even tho
there must be many people out there who's school age experience was with
Macs, doesn't look like they've carried that preference pattern through to
their out-of-school years, either in the corporate area or in the home
user area.

> My first contact with Linux was through a college student who was using
> it.  I was impressed by his ability to work on terminal problems which
> were a mystery to me.  Enlightenment.  I discovered that there is more
> to the world than Micro$oft!

Amazing, ain't it? :-)

> There seems to be more of an openness to Linux at the university level.
>
>>Your point is a good one what you learn in school is hard to break away
>> from later in life. My curious side opened me up to Linux when I saw a
>> Redhat 3.0 book that had a free cd inside. So I bought it and began my
>> anti-M$ journey.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348