Paul on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:29:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

Not really ... NT has been pushed as MS's "business" OS since ... 1994 or
so (NT 3.1). Linux wasn't all that advanced back then, either.

And I can recall using Win3.1 in 1991/92. And yes, that is longer than
Linux. We were doing desktop publishing of the forms we used in the bank I

None of the modern M$ OSes are based on Win 3.1. How much of Win95 or 98 is in XP or 2000? NT may have the longest surviving code, and you said that has only been around since 1994 or so.

Linux started in the early ninties, right? It is still Linux. It has become more advanced and things have been built on top of it. Same with DOS, except DOS stopped advancing. New things have been built on top and around DOS. Being new things, how can they claim to share the long history of DOS?

worked at back then. And so, in the minds of a business person, Windows
does have a longer history of being productive in a business environment
than Linux.

Like you said, "in the minds of a business person". That doesn't make it so.

What would you say the first release of a Linux distro with X-Windows that
you could do desktop publishing effectively with was?

Don't know, but I do know that Macs could do it before M$ could. Come to think of it Macs might have the longest life span of a desktop OS until just recently when they switched to OS X.

One thing that makes M$ seem evil is the fact the others have been around longer, have done things better, and yet, M$ still comes out on top.