Stephen Gran on Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:40:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

This one time, at band camp, Jason Costomiris said:
> At my place I've got a cable modem from Comcast.  My parents have
> Verizon DSL.  When reading and sending mail from my place (using
> Mail.app on Mac OS X 10.2.1), everything works perfectly.  However,
> from my parents' house, I can read fine using IMAP/SSL, but sending
> mail fails every time.
>
> My mail server is running RH 7.3 with Postfix 1.1.11 with TLS and SASL
> support built in.  SMTP connections from my client to the system are
> done over TLS and authenticated using the SASL LOGIN method.  When on
> the Verizon DSL and connecting to the mail server, the connection gets
> established, and the DATA command *seems* to be fine, but eventually
> times out.  Of course, pointing to Verizon's smtp server doesn't help,
> because they only allow @verizon.net and @bellatlantic.net email
> addresses to use their mail relays.
>
> Now that I'm back @ my house, everything's working normally.  Anyone
> know of issues with Verizon's DSL network and SMTP servers that are
> outside of Verizon's network?

Doesn't Comcast firewall ports 25, 80, 110, and a ton of others?  This
was the reason I switched to DCA.net - Comcast told me that they would
be unable (or unwilling) to open a few ports for me to run a mail
hub/webserver on.

I might be misunderstanding, but you were asking about a mail hub on
your LAN, as opposed to the Comcast mailservers, right?

Steve

--
The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children.
	-- Linus Torvalds