gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:20:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NTFS --> to ? Conversion

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:03:59PM -0700, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Linux already supports NTFS (to some degree anyway) - and it is
> distributed with the kernel. I agree that scratch-space would be
> necessary. Maybe the conversion tool would copy the entire windows partion
> data to a network share - reformats it as ext3 and then copies it back? If
> it did so automatically and reliably, then it would be an In-Place
> migration from the perspective of the user doing the migration.

If that's all you want, then you can do that with a shell script.

pax -r -w -pe <mounted NTFS partition> <network share>
[format NTFS partition to ext3]
pas -r -w -pe <network share> <newly formatted partition>

Add it to your kickstart netinstall. (Do the first pax before and the
second pax after.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net