gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:29:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WiFI config

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:32:24PM -0500, John McElroy wrote:
> What other brands use the WaveLAN chipset?

From memory:

Lucent sold WaveLAN to Agere, who was bought by Proxim. Proxim also
makes some Prism2 cards. They still call the WaveLAN-based ones
WaveLAN. They're Prism2 line is called Skyline. (I think.) Proxim's
been having some money troubles lately; look for them to get bought
by somebody (Netgear? Cisco? Who knows...)

Outside of that, Istr that Cisco and (less sure of it) Intel
licensed the WaveLAN chipset at some point or another.

urls that are, at present, in my Phoenix "wifi" bookmark menu:

http://www.epinions.com/content_2571411588
http://www.goonda.org/wireless/
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/tools/wireless_linux.htm
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/pcmcia_wavelan.html
http://bengross.com/wireless.html
http://80211b.weblogger.com/
http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/Prism2Card
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

I'm lazy, so you can figure out the details for yourself. ;^>

(Hint: newtwave.htm is about Apple Newton WaveLAN support. Yes, I
have one. You probably don't care unless you also do, in which case
you *really* want to shell out the $10 shareware. I mean, c'mon,
wireless ethernet for your Newton? How *couldn't* that rock?)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net