gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:37:07 -0500

Re: Microsoft hardware (was: Re: [PLUG] near total kablooie)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:13:36PM -0500, Will Dyson wrote:
> I agree with you on the placement of the escape key. They obviously didn't
> have emacs/vi users in mind when they did that. However, one really nice
> thing about the kinesis is that it puts the ctrl and alt keys on the thumb
> clusters. Setup one of the alts as meta and you are good to go.

Yeah, I'd have to adust to not reaching left (but NOT down!!!) with
my left pinky for control, but the fact that it's *already* under a
finger is huge. And very smart.

I can't quite remember what the in-cup non-alpha keys are, but I'd
remap escape to one of those if I had one. Or maybe something that's
neither alt nor escape (nor alt remapped to meta, of course :^>) on
the center ridge.

Also, at home, I almost always have my keyboard in my lap (I don't
have a real desk, just some milk crates for the monitor and some
end-table-ish things with hanging file folders in them), so the
kinesis would be might awkward. After I move up to a real desk, it
may become more attractive. I've heard nothing but good things about
them. (Also, they ship, at no extra cost, if memory serves, in
Dvorak layout, which is pretty cool.)

Anybody who's never seen one of these things should really go take a
look. Will and I are both talking about the keyboards pictured at:
  http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/us_versions.htm

They're especially good if you already have CTS.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net