gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:42:37 -0500

Microsoft hardware (was: Re: [PLUG] near total kablooie)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:20:31PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> True, but if they choose good quality OEM partners, then the resulting MS
> brand is therefore usually good quality. And by and large, the MS hardware
> products are considered good quality items. Better, perhaps, than some of
> their software. :-)

Okay, I'll bite.

Strikes me that "quality" is rather subjective.

I abosolutely detest the "Natural" keyboards you all seem to be
raving about. First, that's NOT a natural position for my arms;
second, I don't *want* Windows keys; third, I like my keys clicky,
thank you, not mushy. I'll accept their being quite (like Dell's
QuietKey models), but I'd rather they were noisy too.

If I were to move to an ergonomic keyboard (I don't see the need: I
hold my hands in a way that's safe for them and plenty comfortable
for me as it is... but I had a piano teacher for a mother), I'd
probably buy a Kinesis. (It's got some irritating decisions...
especially the placement of escape. But that's as easily remappable
as my home-row control key.)

If all you mean is that the keyboards (and other hardware) are well
put together, then sure, I may agree. But Microsoft neither makes a
keyboard that satisfies me, nor a three button (wheels do NOT count)
mouse, nor any other hardware I'm even vaguely interested in.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net