mike.h on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:17:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] DirecTV DSL & Linux

I use DirecTV DSL. Reason: cheapest static IP addr available at the time,
($49./mo.) and the salesman said that they had no objection to my running
servers. It's been about 1 1/2 years and I have only 3 negatives:
 1. Contract says "Not for business use", but what they really mean is "we
watch your bandwith usage"... But then, it's aDSL, so if you're a business,
or expect to serve 100 connections/second it's too slow anyway...
 2. You can run web, mail, and other servers and they'll even add a zone for
your domain name on their nameservers, but you don't get reverse DNS
lookups.
 3. Occasionally, their connection goes down. This isn't too often, usually
only about once every 6 months, but did occurr two days in a row once.
Nearly always, simply rebooting the bridge ("modem") will get your
connection back.

On the positive side, tech support has been good (even Linux savy!) the few
times that I had to use them.

If I were going into business, needed SDSL, or more than 1 static IP addr,
then I would consider DCA as I've heard nothing but good reports of them.
But for home-based experimentation and learning, DirecTV's price was the
deal maker for me.

-mike.h