Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:20:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Homeland Security Bill

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 01:24 pm, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Geez, this is the worst I've read about this piece of crap currently
> wending its way through Congress:
>
>     <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/14/opinion/14SAFI.html>
>
> This thing makes Echelon look like small potatoes.
>
> (This is only the faintest sliver off topic, since our profession
> will be heavily affected by this kind of garbage.)

Related: Monday, an ad hoc appeals court -- appointed to the case by
Cheif Justice William Renquist, and consisting solely of Reagan
appointees -- overturned a ruling by the secret intelligence court
which had held certain provisions of the USA Patriot Act
unconstitutional including intercepting email without probable cause.
EPIC was one of the intervenors who won in the secret court and lost in
the appeals court.  The way the law is written, only the government can
appeal.  Since the government won, it looks like intercepted emails is
the law.  (there were other provisions upheld, but I tried to keep this
a little on topic.)